Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

MACS provides support to healthcare providers and their practices in addressing the needs of patients with substance use disorders and chronic pain management. Below are some of the common questions we are asked.

General FAQ

How does MACS work?

Call 855-337-MACS (6227)

  • Provide information about your consultation question or request to our behavioral health consultant.
  • For consultation requests and/or resources, we will address your request directly or arrange for one of MACS’ consultants to return your call at a time that is convenient for you (within 1 business day).
  • MACS will send you a written summary of thecall for your records.
  • For technical assistance or ECHO inquiries, MACS will arrange for one of our specialists to return your request to best meet your needs.
  • All services are available free of charge and regardless of your patient’s insurance status.

Who can participate?

Our services our designed for healthcare providers practicing in Maryland:
  • Physicians
  • Advanced Practice Registered Nurses
  • Physician Assistants
  • Pharmacists
  • Dentists
  • Members of the healthcare team

If you are a patient looking for substance use and chronic pain services, visit our Patients, Families, and Community Resources page.

What information will I need when I call?

The behavioral health consultant will not collect patient identifying information. However the consultant will ask about:

  • Your consultation question
  • Known pertinent patient history, including current/past treatment, medication regimen, and diagnoses
  • The patient’s demographics, including age, gender, and insurance (for informational purposes only)

What type of questions are appropriate for MACS?

Call us with questions related to the initiation and maintenance of buprenorphine for the treatment of substance use disorders and chronic pain management.

Topics Include:

  • Medication for office-based treatment of opioid use disorders
  • Medication for office-based treatment of alcohol use disorder
  • Pain managment clinical concerns
  • Concerns about aberrant medication use
  • Diagnostic questions
  • Screening tools
  • Psychopharmacology
  • Alternative medication treatments
  • Comorbid diagnoses
  • Community resources and referrals

Is it free?

Yes! All services are free.

How do I receive more information?

What if I practice outside of Maryland?

District of Columbia providers:

District Addiction Consultation Service (DACS) 
866-337-DACS (3227)

National substance use warmline for providers:

National Clinician Consultation Center (NCCC) Substance Use Warmline

Additional State Substance Use Consultation Warmlines for Providers 

Additional FAQ

Virtual Trainings FAQ 

Technical Assistance FAQ

Project ECHO FAQs

New HHS buprenorphine guidelines FAQ

The Maryland Addiction Consultation Service is administered by the University of Maryland School of Medicine and funded by the Maryland Department of Health, Behavioral Health Administration.