Frequently Asked Questions
MACS provides support to prescribers and their practices in addressing the needs of their patients with substance use disorders and chronic pain management.
Call 855-337-MACS (6227)
- Provide information about your consultation question or request to our behavioral health consultant.
- For consultation requests and/or resources, we will address your request directly or arrange for one of MACS’ consultants to return your call at a time that is convenient for you (within 1 business day).
- MACS will send you a written summary of thecall for your records.
- For technical assistance or ECHO inquiries, MACS will arrange for one of our specialists to return your request to best meet your needs.
- All services are available free of charge and regardless of your patient’s insurance status.
All primary care and specialty prescribers across Maryland:
- Nurse Practitioners
- Physician Assistants
The behavioral health consultant will not collect patient identifying information. However the consultant will ask about:
- Your consultation question
- Known pertinent patient history, including current/past treatment, medication regimen, and diagnoses
- The patient’s demographics, including age, gender, and insurance (for informational purposes only)
Call us with questions related to the initiation and maintenance of buprenorphine for the treatment of substance use disorders and chronic pain management.
- Medication for office-based treatment of opioid use disorders
- Medication for office-based treatment of alcohol use disorder
- Pain managment clinical concerns
- Concerns about aberrant medication use
- Diagnostic questions
- Screening tools
- Alternative medication treatments
- Comorbid diagnoses
- Community resources and referrals
Yes! All services are free.
The Maryland Addiction Consultation Service is administered by the University of Maryland School of Medicine and funded by the Maryland Department of Health, Behavioral Health Administration.